Sunday, June 8, 2014

“How Microsoft has impacted your life and how you plan to bring a change to the society being a Microsoft Student Associate?”

Hello Everyone!
My name is Swati Awasthi. 




Impact of Microsoft in my life

Microsoft fascinated me since the time I was a school kid. I only vaguely remember the computer department of my Dad's office where the first computers in our city were neatly placed. I went along with my father to see the computer. What I clearly remember is having it confused with TV at my home. Then began the demo and after a couple of minutes or so of black screen with white text scribbled all over, there it was, the beginning of a new journey of life and opening of an entirely new world for me, the windows 95 logo appeared on the screen. To be frank after that I didn't understand much when the word processor and other applications were shown. What attracted my attention though was the paint application and when I drew the first line it was as if some magic had happened on the screen. 

I was so much influenced by the paint application that I badly wanted a PC at my home too. My Dad agreed to my wish and about a year later, there it was, my first Windows PC. I was super excited that day when the engineer had come at our place to set it up. I was quiet curious to go into the depth of the knowledge about the box type thing (I used to call when I was 3).At the age of 10 my teachers told me about Microsoft being legend of IT field and I started using Microsoft Office which made my work easy.

I pursued computer engineering after school. Here, I saw a whole new side of Microsoft, yes, I was introduced to Visual Basic and a little later to Visual Studio. I did all my programming on this IDE and even went on to make an application for my college's admission department .NET framework.

During this time, I was not only honing my skills using these Microsoft products, but I was also making an effort to spread the word out to my juniors and friends of various colleges throughout India. I volunteered many Microsoft events like Microsoft Dream Spark Yatra and Microsoft India Appfest, I also organized workshops and seminars in various colleges of different cities with Microsoft Student Partners. I don’t call myself a tech geek rather I call myself a “Tech Rockstar”. I am also a member of DEBUG, it is a group of Microsoft enthusiast of Bhopal.

Currently I am pursuing MBA-IT and with the release of MS One Drive and Office online, now I am even more independent in the sense that I can create and share documents and spreadsheets on the cloud and download it later on. Microsoft online apps syncs Facebook, Google and Skype accounts on my PC and Windows phone so now I can chat with friends and family thereby making my social life sound.Windows phone was one of the best thing happened to me, everything was just one touch away. Being a girl whenever I am in danger or doubt I can use the security app and a notification is sent to my guardian, it also guides me on what restaurant I would want to eat, get driving directions, pay my bills, book movie tickets, flight tickets, from any corner of the world.

I would like to thank Microsoft for introducing me to the fascinating world of computers. I can’t even imagine a day, when I don’t have a desktop on my desk or a windows phone on my palm.Microsoft is at my workplace, at home and anywhere else I can think of at the moment.

Bringing a change to the society

Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important. – Bill Gates


I want to be the voice of youth not an echo! Microsoft Student Associate, for me is a medium by which I can educate people regarding various Microsoft products and services, and update myself and others with new technologies and trends offered by Microsoft. I will bring this to action by organising workshops, fests, competitions, camps where in students and faculties of various institutes, technical / non-technical can participate and learn about Microsoft. I will create blogs, webinars and use all social media marketing tools to spread awareness among the masses about Microsoft. Those students who are interested on learning courses I would suggest them MVA (Microsoft virtual academy). I will also request the college management to organise classes of MVA at my campus. By doing all such activities my ultimate aim as Microsoft Student Associate is to bring Microsoft Enthusiasts forward and motive them to do more with Microsoft, at the same time encourage everyone else to become a part of the wonderful world of Microsoft. I would conclude by quoting the words of Bill Gates “People always fear change. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn't they? People feared coal, they feared gas-powered engines. There will always be ignorance, and ignorance leads to fear. But with time, people will come to accept their silicon masters.”


Microsoft products turned out to be the milestones of my road to the world of technology.



32 comments:

  1. I used to code on windows when I was asked to do the same on Linux....I own a XBOX and a Windows phone too... Always a Microsoft fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Microsoft is at my workplace, at home and anywhere else I can think of at the moment". Loved this part. Well versed. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading the blog even I went all the way from my school days pc games "Dave " to organizing the gaming contest @ engg and much more.... Thanks for helping me recall the journey of Microsoft in my life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Ashish Sir :) No doubt Microsoft has made us technically advanced.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written, I use MS everyday but have never thought of it that it can be so touching

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't imagine life without Microsoft (y)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its written very well :). Microsoft is an important part of our life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Microsoft has definitely been a wave of enlightenment!
    Nicely put up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nicely writteen n really an expressive one .... :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its so well written that I can connect myself with the content. Everyone can see themsleves in this post somewhere. Superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Anuj, I wonder how difficult our life would have been without Microsoft

      Delete
  10. Being an alumini of SICSR (M.Sc CA 2010-2012) I can very well connect with your blog post. Being part of System Administration specialization here , I got a chance to explore Windows Operating Systems in depth. Having extensively worked on Linux in SDRC labs , I appreciate Linux as much as Windows. Somehow I found calling for Windows Servers. 3 years working with Windows , I can vouch for it for it strengths and advantages. With every year they roll out amazing new products and technology. And nothing can beat its GUI and ease of use. Making that GUI wasnt easy task for MS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never imaged myself using a computer without the windows operating system all these years.In fact, it was only the windows operating system which made using the computer easier for everyone, and is the reason behind the trillion dollar personal computer market which exists today.

      Delete
    2. I know this blog is about Microsoft but one thing I accredit SICSR for introducing me to the world of linux. That has made me be open minded about Windows vs Linux. Both have their own strengths.

      Without for Windows we would have been devoid of initial exposure to computers that we got during our childhood.

      So I would say as you go forward with your career , be more open minded. Try imagining yourself with maybe a Mac or Linux not just Windows. Imagine different possibilities. It will help you appreciate lot of technologies and help your grow.

      All the Best

      Delete
  11. Great work Swati Awasthi..!! MICROSOFT has always been an important part of my tech life. There may be many alternatives for Microsoft. but for me it has always been on top priority.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats awesome knowledge.. my college days would be empty if I exclude MS memories out of them.. and still its making difference..

    Good Stuff Swati.. keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sandeep. Microsoft has always been growing at an unparalleled rate.

      Delete
  13. Great work di... really amazing stuff well I m a layman at this but still I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Swati, I conratulate you on being a pro-active and erudite and I'm sure a hard-working student of SICSR. Its an institution I have a lot of faith in. I volunteered and taught Wikipedia editting in your College fest. I have great faith in SICSR students and I consider myself their well-wisher.

    However, I need to bring certain improvement areas to your notice too!

    Do you seriously believe that "But with time, people will come to accept their silicon masters."

    You need to critically understand the subject you have blogged about. You need to know the pros and cons of proprietary software vs FOSS! Though I am a FOSS enthusiast, I understand that both choices - proprietary and free have their own characteristics.

    Critically speaking, your blog is a lovefest with Microsoft. But its not going to stand you in good stead when you apply to a foreign university or company as you are so completely uncritical about it.

    In its current form, you aren't going to either convert people from Free to Proprietary ie Microsoft, or, give impression of yourself as a good writer or as a balanced judge of technological quality.

    Its nice that you are an Microsoft Student Associate but you seriously need to improve your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have lite knowledge these IT sector , but after reading ur blog , I ensure you the way u expose ur skill is vary nice,,,


    I have one question for u that, is ur research is familiar with android users????

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have always been a big admirer of MS Products....Specially MS Game Studio's Age Of Empires...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very well written Swati :) I can easily correlate so many things with my life too. Microsoft has changed our life completely. Since I have started using computers I can only remember one name that is Microsoft. This is the importance of it !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Credit goes to the enthusiastic approach of Bill Gates and Paul Allen. Can't even imagine a single day without MS.
    The journey from Microsoft Disk Operating System to Windows 8.1 is well summarized in your post. Count me in that list of MS addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Before personal computers the daily tasks were tedious and somehow impossible. We could not type a paper in Word and edit it easily. Instead, we had to use typewriters. We could not create a Powerpoint presentation to show to classes. We could not able to solve meticulous mathematical problems and sort it without XLS.

    The personal computer boom came largely because of Microsoft. In this way, the "invention" & "Innovation" has made our life a lot easier. Making the computer something for the common man is what is so remarkable to me.

    ReplyDelete